JOIN, FIND & FOLLOW US!
FAPA President’s Book Awards
In 2005, then-President Dinah Arnette wanted to celebrate and honor FPA’s 25th anniversary. She chose to establish the FPA President’s Book Awards, a competition open only to FPA members in good standing. In 2011 the FPA Board Members chose to open the awards to the non-member Florida authors.
This year we have announced some big changes. We are now the Florida Authors and Publishers Association (FAPA) and the awards are open to authors nationwide. We feel this new national competition increases the prestige of our awards, while still offering benefits to our members and Florida authors, such as Florida categories and discounted entry rates for FAPA members.
See all the details, guidelines, and links to the entry form below.
This year's winners will be announced at the 2013 FAPA President's Book Awards Banquet on Saturday evening, September 21, in Daytona Beach, Fla.
2013 FAPA President’s Book Awards
Call for Submissions
Florida Authors and Publishers Association (FAPA) is pleased to announce the guidelines for the 2013 FAPA President’s Book Awards, which recognizes book publishing excellence and creativity in design, content and production for North American authors and publishers.
Winners can also use the award to promote themselves and their books for increased sales.
Interested authors and publishers may submit one or more 2012 and 2013 English language titles (up until entry deadline) in as many of the following categories as desired:
3. Adult Fiction – General
4. Adult Fiction – Genre: Romance, Mystery/Suspense, Horror, Western, Sci-Fi
(Note: If we receive too many in one category, we will make it a separate one)
5. Adult Nonfiction
6. Young Adult Fiction
7. Young Adult Nonfiction
8. Children’s Fiction
9. Children’s Nonfiction
10. Children’s Picture (Read to Me) Book
11. Cover Design
12. Poetry Book
13. Business Book
14. Florida Fiction Book for Adults
15. Florida Nonfiction Book for Adults
16. Florida YA books (both fiction and non-fiction)
17. Florida Fiction Book for Children
18. Florida Nonfiction Book for Children
20. Coffee Table Book
23. Health & Fitness
24. Home & Garden
26. Political/Current Events
28. Sports & Recreation
29. Cover Design – small format – smaller than 6 x 9
30. Cover Design – larger format – larger than 6 x 9
President's Choice Award
In addition to the awards for the categories above, FAPA’s President will select one entry each year as the President’s Choice Award. The recipient of this award will be chosen from all entries submitted and is not a category that contestants can select.
The President’s Choice Award is chosen from all entries by FAPA President Chris Angermann.
Any author who resides in the United States or is a member of the Florida Authors and Publishers Association, may enter.
FAPA will award one Gold Medal and up to two Silver Medals in each category. Finalists will be announced by email and listed on the FAPA website in September.
The 2013 FAPA President’s Book Awards Banquet will be held at Daytona Beach Resort & Conference Center, 2700 N Atlantic Ave. Daytona Beach, FL 32118. Medalists for each category will be honored and the President’s Choice Award will be announced. All category winners will receive a gold or silver medal and an awards certificate, along with 20 gold or silver “Winner” stickers. President’s Choice Award winners will receive a medal and 50 stickers. Banquet Registration Form.
Additional stickers may be purchased for $45 per roll
A FAPA-issued award-announcement press release will be sent to the author or publisher for release to print and broadcast media and for use on the winners website and/or blog and social media.
1. Complete and return a separate FAPA President’s Book Awards Program entry form for each title you are entering. Click here for the online entry form. Or click here to download and print the entry form.
2. Send four copies of your book for each category entered (e.g. one book entered in three categories = 12 copies of the book).
3. Send four printed PDF copies of each e-book entered book. Additionally, if you have video/audio files embedded in your e-book, send along 4 discs containing those files.
4. Include a check or money order (M.O.) for your entry(ies) to cover the appropriate fees as indicated below:
$65 (non-members) $55 (members)
$50 each additional category
$75 (non-members) $65 (members)
$50 each additional category
Example 1 - One book for three categories as early bird entry:
$65 (non-member) + $50 x 2 additional categories = $165.00
$55 (member) + $50 x 2 additional categories = $155.00
Example 2 - One book for three categories entered after May 1:
$75 (non-member) + $50 x 2 additional categories = $175.00
$65 (member) + $50 x 2 additional categories = $165.00
Please make your check or money order payable to FAPA or Florida Authors and Publishers Association, write Book Awards in the note section and attach it to your entry form. If you would like to pay using PayPal, you must complete the online entry form and choose the PayPal option. PayPal does allow for a credit card option.
4. Include a Disc with an image of your book(s) cover in high resolution (300dpi). You should put this in a padded envelope so it doesn’t get broken inside the box. We can accept either RGB or CMYK images in a JPG format. Please do not send in the native format or with drop shadows.
5. Send only materials indicated above. Marketing materials, newspaper articles, personal notes and other promotional items will be thrown away, so please do not include them.
6. Forward your entry(ies) with delivery confirmation requested if you want to know we received it by the cutoff date of Monday, June 1, 2013. Within Florida, Media Mail (U.S. Postal Service) packages will typically arrive in 1–3 days. Priority Mail (U.S. Postal Service) packages usually arrive in one day. Outside of Florida, Media Mail times vary up to a week, and Priority Mail can take three days or longer. It is unnecessary to go to the extra expense of sending via delivery service, such as UPS or FedEx, unless you are sending on a day that is very close to the deadline of June 1. Entries received after June 1 will not be accepted.
8. Send your books, check, entry form and disc with the cover image to:
FAPA President’s Book Awards
5430 Colewood Pl
Sarasota, FL 34232
E-mail questions to: email@example.com
NOTE: FAPA reserves the right to reassign entries to categories for which they are best suited, as necessary. Additionally, when a category receives fewer than three entries, the books will be reassigned to other categories or returned with payment to the entrant.
DEADLINE FOR ENTRIES
Deadline extended for receipt of entries. All entries submitted NO LATER THAN Saturday, June 15, 2013. Books that do not arrive at the address indicated above after the deadline will not be considered and will be returned to sender.
To download and print the entry form, click here.
To enter and pay online, click here.
View the previous years' winners below! Also watch the 2013 awards announcement on YouTube.
2009 Winners and Finalists (see FPA Bookstore)
2008 Winners and Finalists (see FPA Bookstore)
2007 Winners and Finalists (see FPA Bookstore)
2006 Winners and Finalists (see FPA Bookstore)
2005 Winners and Finalists (see FPA Bookstore)